How to make a toggle-based counting system

I’m making a module for a wargame where each player gets points based on which objective hexes they control, and I thought it would be nice if there was a way to bake in a running count of how many points they have. Setting it up so that the game can automatically detect which side controls a hex sounds like it would require coding, and I don’t want to mess with that, so I figured the other option would be to have an area outside the normal field of play (but still on the main board, in Vassal terms) with game objects that represent each of the objective hexes, and the players can toggle them to represent which side has control of that hex. So then, what I’d like to happen is for another field to have a number which automatically updates the total points for a player, based on which hexes they’ve marked as being under their control. What would be the best way to go about that?

Not sure if you want the objective counter to be electronic or stand-alone hard copy.
Either way a simple table done in Excel (as per attachment) might meet your needs.
Regards
Peter