How to run a Multiplayer LAN game?

First time user of vassal… I’m trying to run a multiplayer game over a LAN, but I’m missing something. What’s happening is player N+1 starts off being Player N and has go switch players to become himself.

I’ve tried this on a few games so I know it’s not the module so I assume I’m doing something wrong.
Player-1 starts the game.
Player-2 joins and synchronizes to P-1
Player-3 joins and synchronizes to P-1.
P-1 takes his turn.
P-2 starts to take his turn but before doing so realizes he is playing as P-1 so he changes sides and continues.
P-3 starts to take his turn but before doing so realizes he is playing as P-2 so he change sides and continues.
P-1 starts his 2nd turn but before doing so realizes he is playing as P-3 so he change sides and continues.

This is clearly not the intention, especially with some player aspects being hidden from other players, so … is there a more complete description of how to start a multiplayer LAN game?

thanks in advance

Mike

Are they all using the same password?

yes, because I was just learning this I set them all to the same password BUT DIFFERENT userIDs.

All players in a game must use different passwords or things will go horribly haywire in precisely the manner you are describing!

thank you very much! I will give that a try. However, as a “bug report” why is this tied ONLY to PWs and not the the user/PW pair? That seems odd.

Thus spake jamida:

thank you very much! I will give that a try. However, as a “bug report”
why is this tied ONLY to PWs and not the the user/PW pair? That seems
odd.

It’s a very old design flaw, which will be corrected in VASSAL 4.

J.