Image Sizing

Hello,

I have a question about image sizing. I am making a hex game and have a bunch of images that are all the same size, let’s say 400x500 pixels. All of the images work perfectly as pieces. One of the images is a door. I have a layer on it so that you can open the door, also works perfectly. There is another type of door piece that has the same properties. The difference is I do not have the “stock” image of this open door.

I resorted to Photoshop. I took the closed door image and cut out the center (they all have borders). I scanned a picture of the open door. When I cut out the open door image and put it inside the border, it is smaller than the border. I scaled that layer up to fit and saved the image as 400x500. The canvas/image size, and the border, do not change size.

As such, both the “stock” closed door and the created open door are the same size. If you click on them in Windows Explorer they both say 400x500 pixels. If you open them in Paint, they both appear to be the same size. However, when I put the layer on the closed door piece in the game and open the door, the piece transforms to be about 4x the size it should be (I only scale the scanned image about 1.5x to 2x to fit the border).

The other weird thing is that after I open the door, the stock image becomes the same size (4x) when I close the door again. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Maybe a problem with image resolution? You did not say which image format you work with. But even though JPEGs, for example, do not “really” have a resolution (expressed as “so many pixels per inch”), some applications allow to set such a resolution and some applications honour this setting. I have no idea if VASSAL does, but I made the experience that it rasterizes SVGs (whose dimensions are in cms or mms rather than pixels) to a corresponding size at 72 dpi. I take care always to re-set the resolution to that fictitious 72 dpi the tubes of yore used to have.
If you change the resolution take care not to re-scale the image, i. e. leave its overall size (px x px) unchanged! Some applications try to be helpful in that respect and can really spoil your day in the process.

Good to know! I save them as PNGs. Photoshop says the pixels per inch for both images is 72. I am wondering if scaling the scanned image is causing it to blow up like that. I have done this with other images before and they look great and work well as pieces, but it has always been scaling the image down to fit in the border.

I might try scaling the image to be larger, saving it, and then try scaling it down when making the piece. I am not sure if that will help or not though.

There may be something else, depending on the workflow. Some graphics programs (graphics engines) consider “100 %” a 1:1 mapping image pixel : screen pixel, while others consider the actual screen resolution and render the image at (approximately) the “print” size on the screen (i. e. taking the resolution into account). For example, on my Mac all programs that use the native Mac engine and settings do the latter (because the Mac uses DisplayPDF), while the GraphicConverter (at its current settings) does px : px. When I display a 72 dpi image it appears half as big in the Converter as in, say, VASSAL or Preview because my screen resolves 144 dpi and I have set the Converter to use the 1:1 mapping.
Maybe you have a similar effect that trips up the workflow.

I want to make interesting and high-quality videos for the YouTube channel and I need some programs and converters files. I also found this tool the online file converter onlineconvertfree.com How effective is it? Or is it better to buy something more powerful? Looks like it needs a lot of work!