Internet dice button

Hi to all.

There is a way to add a internet dice button?
I remember that in some old modules there was one, but it is no more working.

Thanks.

Hello,

I don’t know the answer, but am just getting started here with exactly the same question.

Within the ASL (Advanced Squad Leader) world, I see that there is a broken extension by the name of, “WebDice”. When I try it, it simply states, “Internet dice roll attempt failed.” However, it does show an attempt to send a confirmation email to my personal address along with a subject line that includes the previous chat line contents. So, someone at least tried to get it working in the past and, perhaps, it even worked at one time.

My requirements are the same as the WebDice, it seems:

1. User clicks a button for either one die or two,
  2. VASSAL sends the request to a web dice roller and retrieves results for display within the module,
  3. Webdice also sends confirmation emails to both players with results (and includes previous line of text in chat area as subject)

I found an excellent web dice roller that might work well: rpglibrary.org/software/securedice/

This site is set up so that if you add certain text to the end of the URL, the dice roller will adjust to the parameters needed.

For example: …/securedice/?op=&dq=2&ds=6&mds=6&dt=1&to=bob_jones@gmail.com&sub=test

This will automatically roll 2d6 and send the results to bob_jones@gmail.com with the subject of “test”. This site also includes in the email a confirmation/validation code to ensure that it hasn’t been hacked. Very nice.

If there are any veteran extension creators out there that wish to create this extention- I would appreciate the help. Or, any hints in how to proceed would also be welcomed. As I said, just getting started. Not even sure if this is possible.

Ken

In the case that anyone is interested:

I’ve searched through the history of this forum and see that there are several threads discussing this issue over the years. Most seem focused on live play, not PBeM. I am personally focused on coming up with a way to validate dice rolls via a 3rd party dice roller during PBeM logs. However, I have not found anything focused on this issue, nor any solutions. I get the idea, though, that this is not a quick fix or even possible without major programming intervention… (btw, I am fairly clueless when it comes to Java)

The only hope that I have is to learn from the old extension called, “Webdice” (can be found here: vasl.info/extensions.htm)

When I run it within the Advanced Squad Leader module (VASL), and after typing “test” into the chat window then hitting the webdice button, this is what I get:

• Roll sent to Bones Dice Server
  • Emailing ken@gmail.com (Subject: test)
  • Internet dice roll attempt test failed.

So, it is trying to connect to the internet. And, it somehow knows my email address (ken@gmail.com isn’t my real one-- I changed it for this post). It also grabs the text out of the chat window perfectly. I just need to figure out how to modify the internet address that it is trying to connect to, assuming the “Bones Dice Server” is no longer active…

Will keep learning as I go. If anyone can give me some pointers or feedback, much appreciated.

Ken

Thus spake KenH1967:

• Roll sent to Bones Dice Server

If says it was using Bones, that might be my dice server, though it’s
also possible that there was another with the same name. Bones is a
project that I’ve been intending to return to for quite a while, but
it’s a lower priority for me than VASSAL 4, so it might be some time
before I get back to it.

J.

Greetings, Joel.

Interesting on the possible connection to Bones. Thank you very much for VASSAL. Without it, I would not be able to squeeze ASL back into my busy life. Now that I see it’s value, a donation is forthcoming.

Cheers.

Ken

After a little poking around (including the blog here: vassalengine.org/wiki/Developer%27s_Blog), I now believe that the extension “Webdice” relied on a function called, “Internet Dice Button”, which was removed from VASSAL when the “ShadowDice” server went offline or became a subscription service.

At least some of the code, authored by Brent Easton, is visible here: github.com/caiusb/vassal/blob/m … utton.java

Also, it seems that getting a new internet/3rd party dice roller (re-)integrated into VASSAL has been on the to-do list for a few years. I urge the developers to take a look at the dice roller I mentioned in the earlier post.

At this point, I do not believe someone like myself (novice coder) could tackle this issue.

Thus spake KenH1967:

After a little poking around (including the blog here:
vassalengine.org/wiki/Developer%27s_Blog[1]), I now believe
that the extension “Webdice” relied on a function called, “Internet Dice
Button”, which was removed from VASSAL when the “ShadowDice” server went
offline or became a subscription service.

I remember when we removed Internet Dice Button. You’re correct that
the dice server it used wasn’t available anymore.

Also, it seems that getting a new internet/3rd party dice roller
(re-)integrated into VASSAL has been on the to-do list for a few years.
I urge the developers to take a look at the dice roller I mentioned in
the earlier post.

VASSAL 4, which we’re working on now, will have a facility for making
verifiable die rolls.

J.

I have been looking for a decent Internet die roller ever since shadowdice died. Securedice is the first one I have seen in that time that provides all the features we need. Once I finish the GTS D-Day module, I will look into resurecting the Internet Die Roller. All of the code is still in Vassal, it has just been disabled. I just need to build a new Driver for the Securedice site.

Brent

Thus spake Brent Easton:

I have been looking for a decent Internet die roller ever since
shadowdice died. Securedice is the first one I have seen in that time
that provides all the features we need. Once I finish the GTS D-Day
module, I will look into resurecting the Internet Die Roller. All of the
code is still in Vassal, it has just been disabled. I just need to build
a new Driver for the Securedice site.

Great. I’ll leave that to you, then.

J.

Brent, Joel: Thanks for your immediate responses and feedback.

It’s great to hear the news from Brent as well regarding putting the internet dice roller in the short-term queue.

Somehow, I even feel that I contributed, though in a very miniscule way… ::pats self on back::

Brent, Joel: Is there any progress on the creation of an internet dice roller per the thread above? Thanks.

Sorry, No.

Extremely busy and have had not time at all to look into this.

Rgds.

Thus spake KenH1967:

Brent, Joel: Is there any progress on the creation of an internet dice
roller per the thread above? Thanks.

I did quite a bit of work on this a few years ago, but haven’t made it
back to it yet.

J.

Thanks for the responses, Brent and Joel. Was just checking the status.