Is there a way to create Hidden Die Rolls?

On Feb 6, 2008, at 1:00 PM, dbowman wrote:

This is already doable, with the Delayed tab of the Notes window.

You would just have each player create a delayed note with their bid.
The creation of the note is printed in the log.
Once both sides had entered bids, they would reveal them.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Here is the demo mod (inside zip) that simulates hidden rolls within a private players window w/ the ability to reveal the hidden roll on main map for authentication.

Whenever player rolls/rerolls, chat window throws a report stating the action has been taken (without revealing result) and also erases previously revealed result on the main map

This also makes a good demo for use of action buttons utilizing variable passing so it can be modified to do similar things

Let me think about this one a little Kevan. It should be doable, but require the pieces in just the one window (main map) so ownership via invisible/restricted access would be needed and you probably have to pre define the pieces in a setup file as starting invisible. I’d like to think that somehow using the PlayerSide filter would be handy here if I could ever figure out how to work it :slight_smile:

I’ll post a modified variant of the above example for this once I think of best way for me to do it

How do I load this into the Module?

On Feb 7, 2008, at 1:35 PM, dbowman wrote:

You don’t load it into the module.

Instead, you load it into the editor and see how it is done.
Then set up the same things in your module.

Messages mailing list

How do I load this into the editor?

Thus spake “dbowman”:

The module is in the attached zip file. You need to unzip it first.
(This is because the forum doesn’t permit files with a .mod extension.)

J.

Messages mailing list

Reopening this topic, thanks.

Trying to re-create this for the PW reprint module and the buttons don’t seem to work in 3.5.8. Is there a new/better way to do this?

Thanks.

Hi There! Everything described in this thread that used to work should still be working fine in 3.5.8. It might be useful to try to find a module that has this working correctly and see if you can adapt it?

Thanks, the thread mentions an attached example module, is it still here somewhere?

Hunh - looks like it went missing in the forum change, although @uckelman may be able to find a copy. Or @Tim_M have still have the example around somewhere? Was this never built into the Pacific War module back at the time?

It was, but it’s not working in my latest dev copy. It is possible I broke it somehow. I will have to go back a few versions and find a working version.

1 Like

So I tried an older version of the module that should’ve worked. It doesn’t. When I click the Action Button with the mouse nothing happens, was there a change regarding the mouse input?

Here’s the example module. It’s from 2008, so no guarantees that it still works.

Thanks, I will give it a look.

So, sadly, same issue with the example as in my module. there must’ve been some change internally that is preventing this from working.

it works for me. Are you running it properly?

Well, I guess not.

I’m on Win10/VASSAL 3.6.1. When I click the action button with my mouse nothing happens. In my PW module, I can get the mouse click to fire a die roll but it doesn’t pass the result to the game piece where it is displayed.

There was an action button fix in 3.6.2. Try that.

Thanks Joel, I’ve installed 3.6.2 and now the Hidden Dice module from above works great. My module is almost there.

When I hit my action button it seems to fire because I get the report that the roll was made. However, it still won’t pass the value to the At-Start stacked counter like it is supposed to. I get this error message:

"Bad Data in Module: Source: followProperty[DiceValue]=1d10_result Error: Strategic Intelligence Roll [Layer - Dicelevel] . Numeric field contains a non-number. "

I’m not sure which Numeric field it is referring to.