Issue with grid numbering

Hello,

Is it possible to prevent the numbering of the hexagonal grid from continuing even offboard?

Thank you!

Panther 2010

:question:

Thus spake panther 2010 via messages:

Hello,

Is it possible to prevent the numbering of the hexagonal grid from
continuing even offboard?

Thank you!

Panther 2010

You can do this by using zones to mask off those parts. The Liberty
Roads module contains an example.

J.

Hello uckelman,

many thanks for your fast reply to my question.

I was already aware that using zones could prevent certain areas of the map from not using the grid. I was only interested in knowing if there was an easier way to solve the problem without necessarily having to define 20 different small zones just to hide the off-map numbering.

Be well.

Panther 2010 :slight_smile:

You can do one big zone for the entire map, and then apply a hex grid to the zone. If you truly make the entire map the zone, then it comes out the same. If, in your example, you have the zone only come down to the midpoint of 0137, then 0238 won’t exist…

However, that should get you trouble if someone drags to the lower half (visually) of 0137, as that’ll go outside the zone and hex grid. So, probably your best solution is to go to the trouble of setting up a non-rectangular zone, and shaping the bottom border to exclude the non-hex areas.

But, play around with those a bit and see what results you get first. I usually don’t have Vassal do the grid labeling for me, so I’m not entirely sure what the cutoff point on those labels is. If the zone is just a little shy of the bottom edge (so that there’s no valid ‘snap-to’ point), no one will notice, and that may keep those areas from getting labeled.

Or… you could just have the hex labels be the same color of brown as your map. :smiley: They’d still be ‘legal’ spaces in the module, but you won’t be able to see the numbers on the map.

1 Like

Hello Rindis,

thanks for the tips. The last of the things you proposed, the simplest, was the one that got around the problem.
The real solution to the problem, however, is to add a new feature to the grid numbering, making it possible to define initial and final values for both rows and columns.

Be well.

Panther 2010 :smiley:

1 Like