Make piece unmovable but still selectable?

I am making a game where a card is placed on the board and when it is flipped it becomes a game piece. I would like to make it non movable upon being flipped but still selectable. I haven’t come across anything that I see that makes this possible.

Use the Does Not Stack trait, set Select = Normal, Move = Never.

The Flip action should probably do a ‘Repace With Other’ command to replace itself with a new counter with the new non-moving attributes.

B.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thanks, I need for it to be stackable so that kills that idea. The pieces never need to move and I was trying to eliminate a report just in case one gets moved by accident.

2008/12/21 JMOxx75 <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Why don’t you try?

• M.

The card is really a game piece. To make the piece part random I put it in a deck. Once it is flipped it will have many tokens stacked on it. If I make it non stackable just to make it unmovable it creates more problems than it solves is all.

If it should always be in the same spot for every game, you could instead add a send to location (or return to deck) trait that responds to movement on the map. If the player attempts to move a piece, it will just go back to its original location.

• M.

2008/12/23 JMOxx75 <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Yeah I looked into that as a possibility but the way the game is played is the first thing that happens is both players take turns setting up the board.
This means that they card is placed where ever on the board (different locations per game obviously) and then when their unit pieces move to them and flip them over then that is the location I wish them to stay.

So unless there is a way to record its location when the card is flipped I wouldn’t be able to use the send to location trait.

Then your only real option is to do a replace with other and a does not stack trait. But yes, it will be at the bottom of its layer. It’s hard to imagine a piece that doesn’t move that wouldn’t be at the bottom of its layer. When I’m playing, I generally stick those types of things at the bottom…

• M.

2008/12/23 JMOxx75 <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>