Missing map when opening module

Hi,
I am trying to create a module for “Les Maréchaux IV”. I have some experience in updating modules, but it is the first one I am designing. Not from scratch, as I am modifying the module for “Les Maréchaux III”.

Anyway… When I try to play the module no map appears and I have no dialog window to choose a board. In my module editor, I do have a “Map Window” with a “Map Board” that includes the map. But for some reason I cannot access it from the module (e.g. no map button). I must be missing something obvious, but I have been looking around in vain.

Maybe, in the manual this is the clue I am not interpreting well : " Every map window (including player hands and private windows) exposes a property MapName_isVisible which will hold “true” if the map is currently visible, or “false” otherwise. This allows the module to know whether Global Hotkeys sent to that map’s components will currently be accepted or not. If the Map’s name contains spaces, the property name can optionally include ‘_’ characters in place of spaces."

I cannot see this “isVisible” property anywhere, but maybe this is neither here nor there.

Any idea ?

Thanks !

Guillaume

Since you are modifying a pre-existing module, I have to ask–when playing the module after your edits, exactly what are you doing in the sequence of opening it? Are you loading a predefined setup (i.e., scenario) that existed prior to your edits?

On that note, the various “windows” inside Vassal are re-sizeable, so maybe those “windows” are just minimized to where you can’t see them. You can expand them by dragging on the borders.
Maximizing the actual window that displays the entire Vassal program should also make everything visible.
It’s happened to me, where for some reason the “window” displaying the map was completely pushed up toward the top game menus and for a few moments I was wondering what happened to it.
Hope all that makes sense.

I does make sense : thank you for the idea.

On your advice, I have tried, but could not find a hidden minimized window.

Thanks for your answer.
I have removed the predefined setups. I am just starting the module and then… I guess I am expecting a dialogue window asking me to choose a board when I start the module ?

If you look in the module’s preferences (File → Preferences in Windows, for example), is the checkbox for “Ask Wizard questions at startup” checked or unchecked?

If it’s unchecked, it will be normal that nothing happens when you open the module. From there, check the File menu again for a menu option to start a new game.

1 Like

Ah ! That was the issue. Thank you vey much for the suggestion. It was indeed something obvious…