Mouse over view on a deck?

Game of Thrones: 6 players each have a deck of ‘general’ cards. In each combat, both players secretly pick which general to use then reveal. I’m using a maskable piece with text for the choosing part. Since you’re allowed to look at your opponent’s general cards at any time, I want to make them mouse-over-zoomable. But I also want people to be able to draw out a specific general card so they can discard it once used.

The problem is, only decks can let you draw a specific card, only stacks allow you to mouse-over-zoom. Is there any way to combine these functionalities?

I appreciate any feedback. As an aside that anyone may completely ignore, what is the purpose of making ‘stacks’ and ‘decks’ different things? If you gave stacks all the functionality as decks, wouldn’t that be a simpler and more elegant way to handle things rather than making module designers choose between which set of features they want access to?

Decks are typically used when you want to randomize a set of cards from which players (or your module) will draw cards to their hand. Like the cards in a poker deck.

In your case each player just need a stack of their own card, no need to randomize the order. Like the cards in a poker player hand, altough visible to everybody in your case.

Then players can just click on the general they want to discard and discard it… either by dragging it to discard deck or via a right click command on it…?

Well they have to shuffle through the stack, moving through all the cards until they reach the one they want to pick. I realize it’s a minor issue, but it would be nice if they could just right-click and select it.

Well they can if it’s a deck - draw specific cards option

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of eriktheguy
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:36 PM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: Re: [messages] [Module Design] Mouse over view on a deck?

Well they have to shuffle through the stack, moving through all the cards
until they reach the one they want to pick. I realize it’s a minor issue,
but it would be nice if they could just right-click and select it.

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/mouse-over-view-on-a-deck/4787/3

If the selection is secret, and the other players can see your hand of general cards at any time, how do they not know what card you picked by elimination?

Is the deck of cards available to each player fixed or random?

If the former, then you could accomplish what you want by a combination of a set global property, a global key command and a send to location both defined in the prototype for the cards:

1. add a set global property “ChosenGeneral” with, for example, text “choose general”, command key CTRL-A, pick from a list… then you need to enter the exact basic names of all your generals…

2. add a global key command to to fire on CTRL-A and issue, say, CTRL-B with property expression BasicName=$ChosenGeneral$

3. add a send to location trait to fire on CTRL-B and send your chosen general to the desired location

It’s currently a stack because I want each player to be able to view each other player’s cards by mouse-over zoom. The basis of the issue is that I wan’t ‘mouse-over zoom’ and ‘draw specific card’ to be available for the same stack/deck/blob of tokens.

You do not discard the general you are using until after combat is resolved. You reveal which general you are using by writing the name on a masked piece and then revealing simultaneously with your opponent. Your opponent can only see which generals you have available to choose from, not which one you are choosing.

As you guessed, the decks are fixed. I think a global key command is probably the best way to do this. This should make the game more organized and sleek when I get around to doing it. Your advice is very much appreciated.