Newbie problems with player hands

Hi there. I’m designing a simple module for Free at Last, a light wargame. I got a couple of bugs which i can’t root out, and don’t understand why this is not working.

The main problem is: i can’t get the player hands to be large enough to fit all the cards in. Cards are 250x350 pixels. at first i made the hands blank boards of about 2000x400 pix. All was fine, the hand came up with its nice scrolling bar, and could be scrolled left and right at will.
When i strated widening the hands (one hand must contain at least 8 and up to 13 cards), problems begun. Now, no matter how wide i make the player hand size (i tried 2000, 2500, 3000 etc) i can’t get it to show up as larger than about 1000 pixels (4 cards). There is no horizontal scrolling bar and it cant be enlarged by dragging the window margin. I had also added a grid, but either adding or removing it has no effect. i also tried to delete the hands and rebuild them, but this has no effect. No matter what i do, i can’t get the hands large enough for the game’s needs.

Anyone has an idea of what i’m doin wrong ? I could really use the help. I hope i made myself clear.

I also have problems with the report action command, but those can wait.

Thanks in advance and Farewell
jeibel