Obscure Wars

I really want to design new refreshing games on wars that are seldom found in boardgames or computer games…

Here’s a progress screenshot of the map I’m making for ANGOLA: CIVIL WAR 1975-2002.

Any thoughts, suggestions, critique, etc.

What hexes are Kinshasa and Brazzaville intended to be in? It’s rather
ambiguous.

You also have rivers and borders(?) running through hexes and along hex lines. Very confusing during play. Apparently you just overlayed a hex grid over an existing map. Nice work though.

Cities that were straddling a hex have been fixed by moving them slightly. Kinshasa and Brazzaville are next to each other across the river.

I did not want the rivers to run only on hexside, I think it takes away from the realistic nature of the topography. I do have rules regarding rivers (i.e., combat and movement allowance) that will make it very easy for gameplay.

Thus spake “Brigz”:

The borders might be chrome, in which case running through the middles
of hexes makes no difference for play—or it might be that units in
those hexes are considered to be on their side of the border. I’ve seen
this handled both ways.

As for the rivers, there are quite a few games where rivers don’t follow
hexsides. In some, attacking out of a river hex is more difficult than
normal, and in others attacking into a river hex is more difficult than
normal.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Game terrain/movement/combat always favors the defender.

Orange lines are International Borders. Units can be on these hexes, but if they “cross” then they are crossing the border.

Yellow lines w/black borders are roads. Scale of the game will be such that vehicles can move along these roads in a “strategic movement” manner. Infantry can move (march) along roads faster than open open terrain which will be generally rough (map coloring not yet done).

Black lines w/gray borders are Railroads. Very limited in Angola, and these are used more for supply purposes than actual movement, though infantry can move along these hexes faster (less terrain difficulty since railroads are generally not steep grades).

Rivers - Units on a river are considered in “control” of the river hex, so they are on the opposite side for DEFENSIVE purposes. When ATTACKING from a river the unit is considered to have made it across…see movement point below…

…movement INTO a river hex is double normal movement (unless where a road or rail crosses, i.e. bridge). The unit that moves into a river hex is considered in CONTROL of the river hex. Units on a river hex are always considered to be on the defensive side of the river and receive combat bonuses when attacked. Units attacking FROM a river are considered already across and combat is normal (unless the defender is in a city, etc.). Movement from one river hex to the other suffers no additional movement points as the unit is considered moving along the river banks.

Cities - have been moved a bit to show more which “hex” they are in, but generally the city icon determines which hex the city is in. If the majority of a city icon is on one hex then that is the hex the city is in. FOR EXAMPLE: In the screenie sample (though I modded this already), the city of Mbanza-Ngungu is in hex 1407.

Coastal hexes are treated the same. Coastal craft and land units can occupy any hex that has BOTH land and sea areas.

Many more rules are built in to the game to make it as easily playable as possible.

Here’s an updated screenie.

• Resolved some of the issues brought up about the towns and hex alignement.

• Complete naming rivers and fixed some text that were incorrect.

• Changed the scale of the hexes. (Note: screenie is zoomed out one level).

• Changed the town icons to have a white border.

• Changed the ocean graphics.

• Added some missing trails at the SE area of Angola (not shown in the screenie) that help complete the road network.

• Added mountain terrain.

• Added country names.

At the game scale not sure if I’ll add additional terrain. Scale is 1 hex = approx. 42 km, and game turns are 2 weeks.

Let me know any thoughts on this.

Thus spake “geozero”:

I think all of those are improvements.

Is there a reason why national borders are so wide? When I first saw
them, I thought they were a terrain feature.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

OUCH… I’ll be changing those borders and working on redrawing the coast line so that it’s smoother, and dark blue instead of black… just looks better.