PLEASE Address Server Instability Issues!

I have been having exactly the same problem. I know this is a free service and I really, reallly appreciate it. But server stability is a real problem - do you guys know how hard it is to get night away from the wife to play? :astonished:

Thus spake ā€œmarkacresā€:

So far as I know, none of the developers have observed the problem yet,
so we havenā€™t been able to look into what might be causing it.

ā€“
J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ ā€¦ engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Justr hook up with me and my buddies for a while almost any evening! Look for the On to Richmond game and join in.

Evening in what time zone?

ā€“
J.

Messages mailing list

I and two others experienced this problem last night from 9:45pm till 10:20pm EST.

We would be playing and then all three of us would be force disconnected. If we tried to reconnect weā€™d get this error.

Unable to establish connection to server: Connection refused: connect

Hope this helps.

Eventually the problem resolved itself and we could continue playing.

Kizan

Time Zone - Eastern Daylight Time - same as New York City

What I would do in this situation is setup a Perl script on a different box to poll the server repeatedly; It could simulate connecting as a real user. And immediately when the script fails, it would send an e-mail. Then someone could immediate check everything in an attempt to isolate the problem.

Thus spake ā€œbsmithā€:

If I understand correctly what Rodneyā€™s told me, there already is a
connection tester running on the same machine, which has been failing
more frequently of late (despite that the load is about the same as in
the past). This indicates to me that the problem is local to the machine.

ā€“
J.

Messages mailing list

Evening in NYC is the middle of the night for me.

Anyway, Rodney is looking into it now. Iā€™ll keep you posted about how
this is progressing.

J.

Messages mailing list

Iā€™ve been getting lots of reports on server failureā€¦ I hope itā€™s nothing to do with my module :blush: it does attract quite a few peopleā€¦

Guys, this server issue is becoming serious. My buddy and I can just canā€™t play at all tonight - we canā€™t get on the server. Unable to establish connection - connection refused.

Itā€™s 9:20 pm Eastern time, USA on Saturday night.

I really, really like Vassal, but if we canā€™t play using it, that rather defeats the purposeā€¦

I was unable to connect for about 3 minutes today, but that was the only problem time I experienced. Are the two of you able to connect peer-to-peer? someone here was describing a firewall problem that couldnā€™t be overcome, not sure if it was you/your mates.

We canā€™t figure out how to make peer to peer work. When we invite, absolutely nothing happens on either end. Then eventually we get a failure message.

At 00:30 GMT today, Rodney switched the game server to a new machine. If
the problem was due to bad connectivity or a software or hardware problem
on the old machine, then this is likely to solve the issue youā€™re seeing.
On the other hand, if the problem is with the game server code, then this
is unlikely to help.

Please let us know whether the problem persists for you, either way.

8:00 am London (England) time - Iā€™ve been unable to get on the server (using VASL) for the last 15 minutes. Normally I wouldnā€™t report it, but my opponent across the globe canā€™t get on either, and has also said that connection problems are worse and worse these days (he plays a lot more often online than I do.)

Iā€™m not even getting the ā€œCannot Connectā€ messageā€¦ itā€™s just hanging with the connect button depressed.

Thus spake ā€œjay whiteā€:

Try now. We were hitting a limit on open files on the new machine.

ā€“
J.

Messages mailing list

9AM Western US time: server connect successful. It took a while, but it brought the main room up, and it created a new room instantly.

Only tested with Zombies!!! module.

Same issues here. We attempt to connect to the Vassal server, but no room ever comes up and we both get ā€˜Lost connection to serverā€™ error.

Iā€™ve upgraded to 3.1.4 and turned off the firewall, no help.

Weā€™ve been on and off able to connect the last few days (we were both on earlier today for a few minutes) but it seems about this time every day (1am-ish EST) the servers wonā€™t let us connect. Itā€™s an intermittant problem apparently and all the more frustrating for it.

Weā€™re running the Federation and Empire module if that matters.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as we love our newly-discovered Vassal toyā€¦

On 22/04/2009 at 10:42 PM markk3441 wrote:

Yes, the server is down, the devs are aware of it and attempting to find a solution. Unfortunately, it is now the middle of the night for the people who can do something about it. Please be patient.

B.

Messages mailing list

Ok, great, thanks for the update. I didnā€™t read if the devs knew there was a problem yet since I saw firewall advice and such on another thread. As long as they know about it weā€™ll wait patiently.