Range rings and text indicators with it

Hello all,

I am making a game that has a immovable marker in each country. That marker, when clicked on, shows ranges rings (area of effect trait) in order for players to see if they can range an enemy force. There is a different colored ring going out every 100 miles from 100 - 800 miles. Kind of makes a rainbow.

I am trying to find a way to do two different things along with those rings: to have a text box on each range limit saying 100, 200, 300 etc. I am also trying to see if there is a way to put a black border on the rings? So the changing between rings is a little more noticeable?

Any ideas on either is greatly appreciated.

I have set the rings to all come on at the same time but I want them to. So I guess that’s also a question on how to do that with one button press but I figure it is playing around with “trigger action?”

Also to note: there are over 100 marker symbols in the countries so it needs to be something I can turn on n off, not just text boxes attached to the map

Not sure how graphical you are, but if the information is static i.e. the text labels (100 mi, 200 mi) never change, then I wouldn’t do any of that in Vassal. I’d create images in a drawing app (anything from MS Paint to Adobe Illustrator) in the PNG file format (which can have transparency). Then you can use any font you want, in any size, and any position. Doing anything with text and images in Vassal is EXTREMELY cumbersome, so I avoid it whenever I can.

As for the Trigger Action, it’s pretty straightforward. Under “Perform these Keystrokes” add any keystrokes you want for triggering the placement of rings. They execute on that list from top to bottom. Within the Piece itself, make sure the Traits that place the rings are ABOVE the Trigger Action. You can also repeat the same keystroke across multiple Traits. So if you always want to place the same 7 rings, you don’t need 7 different keystrokes. Just assign the same one (CTRL-R for instance) in every single Trait that places a ring. Then in the Trigger Action, you only need to list CTRL-R under “Perform these Keystrokes”, not 7 different keystrokes.

Thanks. I didn’t think about the dropping an image for the rings. That would work well I bet. I will give it a try.

Thanks as well on the trigger action. Really new to Vassal. My new job is having me work with it so I am going through all the stuff I can find.

Thus spake jakekelly386 via messages:

Thanks as well on the trigger action. Really new to Vassal. My new job
is having me work with it so I am going through all the stuff I can
find.

Oh? What job is that?

J.

I messaged you a response