Red circle highlighter that VASL uses

Apologies if asked elsewhere-

VASL has added a feature that we found indispensable last night while playing online; you can ctrl-left click on your screen a red circle will show until you release the key-mouse. It highlights for both sides so it’s great to show where you’re focusing your attention on. Can something like this be easily reproduced for other VASSAL modules or does it require custom java coding?

I’m thinking that in the worst case scenario, I could add a layer to the pieces prototype that would draw a red circle around a piece that you could then keyboard shortcut on/off but that wouldn’t help you wanted to point something out on the board that didn’t contain a piece.

Thanks.

Nevermind, I’ve explored inside the VASL module and found that it’s an added class. My weak knowledge of java didn’t allow me to successfully edit that class (and the associated “PieceFinder” class) in order to get it to work with my module.

If the VASSAL Gods are listening, this would be an excellent addition to the standard VASSAL module editor!

Thus spake GJK:

If the VASSAL Gods are listening, this would be an excellent addition
to the standard VASSAL module editor!

Better highlighters are on my list for VASSAL 4.

J.

Or a pointer piece maybe… highest map layer, ignore grid, hidden game palette, called using a quick hotkey like backslash or something and sent to a selected piece nearby, then delete when done (you could even use the same hotkey to delete it).