remaining tasks for 3.1.0

Here’s what I think is left for 3.1.0:

• Translations: Are we waiting for those few new keys to be translated?
  • Bugs: We have a handful of newly reported bugs which we should have a go at fixing while we wait for the translators:

Bug 2546979: NumberFormatException in ReportState.mySetState()
Bug 2543910: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException in PieceFinder$Movable

I’m working on the new site. Maybe we’ll be able to introduce it at the same time we release 3.1.0.

Are any bugs against the module editor being considered for 3.1.0?

This one is resolved in swampwallaby-work2@4996

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Did you have anything in mind? There are no open bugs in the tracker against the module editor, apart from

2542846 Blank Control key in Layer trait generated strange keys

which will be fixed as part of 3.2.

B.

Messages mailing list

This could be a threading problem. Some movement of counters (e.g. Translate trait) occur on background threads, so the size of the Stack can change while CounterDetailViewer is examining it. It is probably just enough to check the iterated pieces still exist in the Stack before trying to select them for display.

B.

Messages mailing list

two threads…

vassalengine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1379
mentions two bugs against the editor…

1. some (most really) windows can grow quite large if you hog-wild with command keys for options, and there is no mechanism built into the windows to permit them to become scrollable. so at some point they push the keys to close them or edit them off the screen.
    (specific example - restrict commands dialog - but there are at least a few others that have that potential - such as I believe the DP dialog if you add a lot of commands to it). Brent - I think we may have discussed this one very briefly already but I do not know if any decision was made how to approach it.
  2. [this one could be a feature request rather than a bug per se but that depends how you look at it] when you cut and paste a piece (or probably most things?) then when you go to paste it again, there is no longer anything to paste. I believe the norm would be for you to be able to continue pasting the object just like if you had copied it rather than cut it?

vassalengine.org/forums/view … ight=#8388
This one never got any notice. It is minor and isolated enough that I actually mentioned it to Rodney also when I volunteered to try my hand as a part-time dev [crud, probably should, er, forget to mention that], but I have not done anything with it.

Those are the ones I know have been mentioned on the forum that might be actual bugs as opposed to feature requests.

Thus spake “IrishBouzouki”:

If you know of any bugs, please report them.

J.

Messages mailing list

Added as Bug [2550346] Some Editor Dialogs need Scrollbars

As far as I can see, the traits

• Report Action
  • Restrict Commands
  • Trigger Action
  • Dynamic Property
  • Set Global Property

have this problem. The answer is to add scrollbars and allow for a maximum of (say) 5 of each item before the scrollbars appear.

I think this does count as a bug, it is not ‘normal’ behaviour. I have added it as Bug [2550357] Cut components are not available for multiple pastes

I will look into both of these, I know where the bodies lie.

I have also discovered a bug in the PieceSlot Id’s (manual buildfile editing can generate duplicates) that I need to sort out also.

Brent.

Messages mailing list

This actually brings up another point. I know that I (well, most people really) should know how to report a bug against VASSAL on SourceForge.net :blush: , but should there not also be a link in a somewhat prominent spot on the vassalengine.org webpage (or in the about menu on the player and editor) for reporting bugs that do not come up because of the automatic bug reporter, with some statement of required info that should be given?

Right now I think the way that the vast majority of VASSAL users think they “report” a bug is simply to post it on the “Technical Support & Bugs” forum. But there is no guidance provided [okay it is there if you read the posts but it hardly slaps one in the face] in terms of what information is even basically needed (at least until some poor perplexed dev posts in response “What version of Vassal are you using?” “What steps did you take for this bug to occur?” “What version of Java are you running, and how do you find that out?” “What is your heap size set to for VASSAL and for Java and how much RAM is in your machine, and how do you figure all that out?” “What operating system are you using, and how do you figure that out :laughing: ?” “How do we reach you for more info, and how do you figure that out :laughing::lol: ?” etcetera.

By 3.3 when all the bugs have gone away is too late to implement a user community bug reporting system!

Yes, we could do with a big Sticky message at the top of the Bug forum on ‘How to report a bug on this forum’

A lot of these questions are answered by information in the logfile. The big questions that don’t get answered by logfile are:

• Who are you, how do we contact you. 50%+ of anonymous bug reports are useless because we cannot getmore info or follow up.
  • Where do I find a copy of the module.
  • How do you reproduce the problem.

Joel is planning to add a ‘Report a Vassal Bug’ option to the Module Manager which will act like the Auto-bug reporter and send the current logfile in. So you won’t have to wait for something to fail. If you see something wrong, you will be able to generate a new bug report. I’m not sure if this will make 3.1 though.

B.

Messages mailing list

Swampwallaby-work2@4999 fixes:

Bug [2550316] Manual edit of buildfile can create duplicate PieceSlot id’s

Swampwallaby-work@5000 fixes:

Bug [2550357] Cut components are not available for multiple pastes

Messages mailing list

Swampwallaby-work@5002 fixes:

Bug [2550346] Some Editor Dialogs need Scrollbars

Messages mailing list

Swampwallaby-work@5003 fixes:

Bug [2543910] ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException in PieceFinder$Movable

This bug fix is fairly simplistic, but I think it is all that is required.

Messages mailing list

Thus spake “Brent Easton”:

This fix worries me, because it’s only a bandage. That’s probably ok for
now, but we need to work out the underlying threading issue in the long
run. Separation into model and view would be a permanent solution to this
problem.

J.

Messages mailing list

Merged to trunk@5006, 3.1@5007.

J.

Messages mailing list

Merged to trunk@5008, 3.1@5009.

J.

Messages mailing list

Merged to trunk@5010, 3.1@5011.

J.

Messages mailing list

Merged to trunk@5012, 3.1@5013.

J.

Messages mailing list

Merged to trunk@5014, 3.1@5015.

J.

Messages mailing list

That is in fact the correct URL for the reference page running under the debugger. Help pages are displayed from the local file system, not from Vengine.jar.

The problem is that BrowserSupport.openURL(String url) is being passed the string

/home/uckelman/projects/VASSAL/trunk/doc/ReferenceManual/Translations.htm%23application

because the # has been encoded to %23 somewhere along the line and BrowserSupport/BrowserLauncher does not support this.

The only two Help references that use a # are TranslateVassalWindow and TranslateWindow.

Is there an easy call to de-reference %nn entities?

B.

Messages mailing list