Reporting Hex Locations

Howdy Gents,

I’ve got a module for Revolution’s Stamford Bridge nearly complete … except I cannot get the thing to report the hex locations of units placed upon, or moving upon the grid.

I’ve built the map as a Multi-Zone Grid, with a Main Hex Grid Zone, with a Hex Grid embedded within the Hex Grid Zone.

The grid numbering is correct.

Everything is right with but one other task remaining, inserting the pre-defined set up, which I can do easily.

It’s just the reporting of the hex numbers that I cannot get to occure. It’s not necessary, of course, but it would be nice.

Thanks Much,
Tom

Make sure your Zone definitions have “Location Format” defined to something like “$name$ $gridLocation$” and not just the default “$name$”.

That sort of worked … sort of.

Now my hex numbering system is no longer correct. It changed.

Left - Right hex 1117 should be 1016 (everything needs to move to the left by one hex)

North - South, it’s obviously off by a factor of 100 in other words 1117 should read 1017, the numbers need to move south by 100 hexes.

If anything changed it is surely not a consequence of adding $gridLocation$ to the Location Format. That just takes what you defined in the hex grid (or irregular grid or whatever) and reports it.

You must have changed your hex grid somehow.

I didn’t, but then again since it’s now reporting, and previously it hadn’t, perhaps what was visible on the hex grid numbering system wasn’t translating to the map, though I perceived it had. With this change $gridLocation$ I am now seeing what previously I wasn’t able to.

Well disaster has struck. I left the hex numbering alone. Didn’t want to make things worse.

Decided to insert the two 8x10 charts the game uses. And I’ve done this several times so I didnt’ think it would be a big deal. I failed to use png, for one of them, so I eliminated the jpg version of one of the charts and went back to insert the png. But then the game hung up because it kept trying to tile the jpg file that was no longer there. So, I decided to cut and eliminate the entire, “Add a chart” section, process. That fouled up everything. It entirely locked up Vassal. I will not run a thing now.

I’ll let you know if I am able to successfully reinstall Vassal and if it properly reboots the module without hanging up on non-existent jpg files.

Well, uninstalling and reinstalling Vassal eliminated the locked up program problem.

So, I’m back to this:

Decided to insert the two 8x10 charts the game uses. And I’ve done this several times so I didnt’ think it would be a big deal. I failed to use png, for one of them, so I eliminated the jpg version of one of the charts and went back to insert the png. But then the game hung up because it kept trying to tile the jpg file that was no longer there.

And the Hex numbers refuse to change:

Left - Right hex 1117 should be 1016 (everything needs to move to the left by one hex)

North - South, it’s obviously off by a factor of 100 in other words 1117 should read 1017, the numbers need to move south by 100 hexes.

Most frustrating

Now that you are getting your hex grid locations accurately reported, go back and tweak you hex grid numbering. 1117 to 1017 is off by 1 hex, not 100, so just tweak your starting hex by 1. If every second row/column is out, then change the checkbox ‘Odd numbered rows Higher’.

When first creating a grid, I usually temporarily turn on the option in the grid numbering to draw the grid reference. This makes it easy to see you have the correct settings.

Here’s what I’m seeing:

The actual map shows hex 1017, the Vassal grid calls it 1117, but the unit dropped on the map reports 1118

Now I’m unchecking the box labelled "Odd Numbered Rows numbered higher

the map says 1017, the grid says 1118, the map reports 1119

What am I doing wrong?