Send Back details lost across a subsequent move/undo

I have created bug report for a “Send Back”/UnDo bug, after failing to find a mention if it on this forum or in the bug tracker.

vassalengine.org/tracker/sho … i?id=13122

Thanks for that.

A fix for this bug, plus several other Undo related bugs is included in the 3.3.1 beta. Please try the latest at vassalengine.org/~uckelman/tmp/

Rgds.

I re-tested on v3.3.1 (not a 3.3.1 beta however). I still see my problem in 3.3.1, perhaps it is different for the issue that 3.3.1 sought to address.

I will consider a different approach, especially if moving the card is supposed to invalidate the “send-back” data.

Sorry, I assumed the fixes to date would have resolved this issue. I will investigate further.

The recent fix for the Undo bug (vassalengine.org/tracker/sho … i?id=12554) is not in any release or beta version yet, it’s only in the master branch.

Ah, reading carefully this time.

Version 3.3.1 is a hotfix release to fix an issue we found in 3.3.0. It doesn’t contain any of the undo fixes, these have all been pushed back to 3.3.2. The fixes where only applied to the 3.3.1 betas. You can either try the 3.3.1 beta, or wait for the first 3.3.2 beta.

I’ll wait to hear your results.

Thus spake Brent Easton:

Ah, reading carefully this time.

Version 3.3.1 is a hotfix release to fix an issue we found in 3.3.0. It
doesn’t contain any of the undo fixes, these have all been pushed back
to 3.3.2. The fixes where only applied to the 3.3.1 betas. You can
either try the 3.3.1 beta, or wait for the first 3.3.2 beta.

I’ll wait to hear your results.

I’ve uploaded a current build from master, 3.3.1-152-g5913c01f, here:

vassalengine.org/~uckelman/tmp/

Try that. It contains all the changes we’ve made over 3.3.1 so far.

J.

Re-tested using v3.3.1-152. Does not appear to fix the issue. However, the unreleased changes to v3.3.1 seem to have broken something else in the module that I am working on. I will log this in the developers forum, as it is working in the official releases but not in the development versions.

Hi Mark,

I have been investigating your bug report further and am having troubles recreating the initial conditions. In the bug report, you say

Exactly what do you mean by ‘the Send Back command is lost.’ Do you mean the send back command is greyed out? Or it goes back to the wrong location?

How is the piece subsequently moved? Each piece can only have a single ‘back’ location, so a subsequent ‘Send to Location’ will overwrite the previous ‘back’ location.

I was unable to reproduce anything that looked like a problem with v3.3.1-152. The Send Back locations seemed to undo properly.

Regards.

Hi Brent,

Thank you for looking into this issue. I thought I understood my own code but having tried to replicate in a simple framework, I find Vassal is preserving the Send Back just right across normal movements, so I must have something getting in the way. At this point, I assume that whatever my code is doing is also stopping the UnDo from restoring my Send Back data. Sorry I didn’t check this one out enough before.

As for v3.3.1-152 specifically, that was a different issue that I spotted. I think it is an issue with either condition &/or trigger handling. I provided a set of demo files in this thread that show different behaviour between v3.3.1 and v.3.3.1-152. I will understand if I need to distill this demo down.

Sorry, that’s too much to dig in to. The fact that the equivalent functionality works in another, less complex module does give you a starting point. Exactly what is different between the two implementations? I’m happy to look further if you can narrow it down more.