Some questions

Hi,

I am working on a new Twilight Imperium Module to play it online with my friends.
The one from the wiki is a total mess so I will start from scratch.

I planned to make my own tools to make playing over the internet possible, but then I discovered Vassal.
Well it works, so nice job so far… but the module editor is pretty messy considering my first look at it.

There you have that wonderful object oriented java and you can not quite make use of it, or it might be that i just didn’t figure it out yet.

First I want to make the hexagon tiles lockable. After you press the lock button they shall never be selectable again and just being in the background.
I figured out that I should use the replace with another gamepiece function.

Now to the following. If I make a prototype of my specified behaviour, how can I set the image of the new tile to that of the old one.
Of course I could just make every tile unique and define the image always new, but that doesn’t really confirm with the idea of using “classes” in form of prototypes. ( or did I missunderstand them ?)
So is there an option to refer to an image ? Like an image variable or maybe by taking the name of the piece as the name of the image file ?

Also I saw the option to import java classes, is there any documentation about that feature ?

Well even if those are minor problems, I just prefer making it good instead of just making it work. :smiley:

Considering making the module public when it is done, I might do it, but probably with most cards as placeholders.
Does somebody know FFG’s position on those modules ?

By the way the module will include all expansions if somebody wants to know it. :slight_smile:

On Jun 13, 2011, at 4:54 PM, kinglz wrote:

First I want to make the hexagon tiles lockable. After you press the
lock button they shall never be selectable again and just being in the
background.
I figured out that I should use the replace with another gamepiece
function.

Generally, for terrain tiles, you want to either use Does-Not-Stack or game piece layers.

See
vassalengine.org/wiki/Faq_mo … ct_with.3F

Now to the following. If I make a prototype of my specified behaviour,
how can I set the image of the new tile to that of the old one.
Of course I could just make every tile unique and define the image
always new, but that doesn’t really confirm with the idea of using
“classes” in form of prototypes. ( or did I missunderstand them ?)
So is there an option to refer to an image ? Like an image variable or
maybe by taking the name of the piece as the name of the image file ?

I’m not sure about this. Sorry.

But I think that the replace with other trait requires that the other counter already exist. I don’t think there is any matching code available in replace with other that allows for a dynamic selection of what is being replaced. Which is what would be needed to find a piece with the same type. (Or even to construct such a piece).

Also I saw the option to import java classes, is there any documentation
about that feature ?

vassalengine.org/wiki/Programming_Tutorial