Substituting the image files of an existent module

Hello all,

I find the module for Duel of Ages II has too poor image scans and want to substitute those. I prepared a nice scan of a card, unziped the .vmod, substituted the image and zipped again. When I try to launch the .vmod, Vassal says it is not a supported module. What am I doing wrong? Is this the correct way to edit a module by only substituting the image files?

1. How are you trying to launch the module?
  2. Did you rezip the module correctly? The usual cause for a module failing to open after rezipping is that the a director has been introduced containing the files which are supposed to be in the root directory of the module.

This most frequently (though not exclusively) trips up MacOS users, because MacOS has a really annoying feature that puts the contents of a ZIP archive into a newly-created folder whenever you uncompress one. The temptation for users who aren’t familiar with the internal organization of a valid module is to recompress that entire folder, rather than its contents.

For instance, this is WRONG:

This is CORRECT:

2 Likes

1. How are you trying to launch the module?
First I tried double click the file, but nothing happened. Then I tried in Vassal main menu, File → Open Module → chosen module, but to that I get the message below:

2. Did you rezip the module correctly? The usual cause for a module failing to open after rezipping is that the a director has been introduced containing the files which are supposed to be in the root directory of the module.
Well, I used 7-Zip to unzip and then to zip it again. I changed the extension of the resulting file from .zip to .vmod.

Some more info that may be useful:

• The old image was 33.2 KB, the new image is 414KB;
  • I don’t know the size of either image in pixels;
  • I kept the same name for the image file;
  • The Duel of Ages 2 module was built with an older version of Vassal (don’t know exactly which, but certainly earlier than 3.5.0).

I am using Windows. I double checked the structure of the files in the newly zipped container and it is identical to the original module (2 files in root: buildFile and moduledata, 1 directory called Images).

We need to see the (broken) module to help further. I’m 95% sure you have the module structure wrong.

The module is 125MB big. Is it possible to upload it here?

No. Put it somewhere we can download it, like Dropbox or similar.

You were right all along. Somehow I missed the root directory created by 7-Zip which is not present in the original module. All good now.

1 Like