To tell a side which created a marker

There are counters. There are two sides (+solo).

Counters can be placed markers on.

I’d like to make two GKCs which would remove the makers–one for each side.

How do I tell the side counter of which the marker has been placed upon? I assume the markers are placed via right-click → command. Is there a way to differentiate the markers at the moment of placement–provided they are the same in every aspect.

The solution to make two version of the marker (one for each side), which would have a trait enabling to tell one from the other, is an ugly hack.

Alright, I think I know. So I would add a Global Value–say it is called VALUE. When a marker is placed (via C-M, let’s assume), the counter would also set value of VALUE–it would be set to A if counter on which the marker is placed belongs to side A. It would be set to B if–you get the picture.

The marker would then inherit value of VALUE–somehow. I could create a marker trait which would be initialized by current value of VALUE, never to be modified again. GKC I mentioned earlier would remove markers of a given trait.

Any other ideas?

I’d try a dynamic property in each marker first, which is set directly to $PlayerSide$ when it is initially placed (using ‘keystroke to apply after placement’). So the counter places the marker and immediately that marker sets its dynamic property to that player’s side. Then you just have your delete gkc’s look for the dynamic properties set to whichever side. As long as players place only their own markers, this should be fine.

If players might be placing markers on opposition counters, then you’d need to adjust for that, but it’s still doable (using your “value” idea basically… so instead of $PlayerSide$ the marker would set its dynamic property to the side the counter itself belonged to). Or alternatively you could even have the counters themselves just remove any markers within a confined space (so a gkc is sent to that player’s counters and the counters remove any markers within their own space).

Hope this helps.

Or alternatively you could even have the counters themselves just remove any markers within a confined space (so a gkc is sent to that player’s counters and the counters remove any markers within their own space).

That would be the most elegant approach. How would I achieve that?

Make sure the Restrict Range button is checked in the counters’ GKC trait that will send the markers the removal key command, then check Fixed Range too and enter the Range as 0. Test it and if the markers fall outside that range, especially if not using a grid of some sort, then keep increasing the range until they’re removed, ensuring that no nearby opposing markers are affected.

The GKC for the toolbar could then be two buttons (one for each side) or a single Toolbar Menu button housing both options. Then you’d have the matching properties for each of those limit it to that side’s counters only, sending whatever key command you want triggering the above GKC piece trait.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile: