Vassal Crashes when navigating to new Directory during Save As

How hard would it be to knock up a small Java GUI program that uses the Windows file dialog?

If you want another Java program to test with, you could try PCGen, a D&D character creator. The download for the latest stable version (which, like VASSAL, has a built-in Java environment for the Windows install) is here: Release PCGEN 6.08.00RC10 · PCGen/pcgen · GitHub. Like VASSAL, it uses Java 11+ and the Swing GUI library, so there’s a good chance it will have the same issues if it is a Java issue.

1 Like

Oh, I did back in the day. You even commented on it being a java error not a Vassal issue.I have lots of them. Once my chkdsk is done, I will grab one another one.

Here is a link to my latest hs_err output. Too big to share here:

I tired out PCGen was unable to get it to crash, but I tried only for a bit. I can get Vassal to crash pretty easily with the right steps.

Is PCGen using the native file chooser? If not, then the code where the problem occurs won’t be run.

See if you can trigger the crash with this test program.

To run it, do this from the directory where Test.class is:

D:\Program Files\VASSAL-3.6.12\jre\bin\java.exe Test

All the program does is display a file dialog, and then print the name of the selected file.

Can you replicate the crash by running this?

Sorry, how do I run this program?

Unzip the archive. This will give you a directory named filedialog containing the files Test.java and Test.class. Open a terminal. Go to the filedialog directory. From there run this command:

D:\Program Files\VASSAL-3.6.12\jre\bin\java.exe Test

I have not been able to as of yet with that program. In Vassal the best ways I do is to open a file and have to change directories to get to it. Also, often double-clicking a save file can cause vassal to crash instead of launching it.

This appears to be brand new information–has it been true since the start of the thread?

Not sure if I found. I tend to not launch games that way, but I have had to find many workarounds for this odd crash that happens at times.

By far the biggest culprit is changing directories while saving or loading.

Can you tell me anything else about what you’re seeing? Does the dialog from the test program differ in any way from the one you see in Vassal?

Lordy, still going after all these versions. Now in Vassl with VASL, just trying to open a save file, it crashes Java. How am I the only one? I have now moved everything to the c: drive too. So odd. I have found ways to work around it, but man I wish I could find what program VASSAL/Java is not happy with.

It seems, maybe, the deeper down the folders are in subfolders, the more likely?

--------------- S U M M A R Y ------------

Command Line: -Xms512M -Xmx512M -javaagent:lib\vassal-agent.jar --add-opens=java.desktop/sun.awt.shell=ALL-UNNAMED -Duser.home=C:\Users\Admin -Duser.dir=C:\Program Files\VASSAL-3.7.2 VASSAL.launch.Player --load – C:\VASSAL\ASL\vasl-6.6.6.vmod

Host: Intel(R) Core™ i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz, 20 cores, 31G, Windows 10 , 64 bit Build 19041 (10.0.19041.3393)
Time: Tue Oct 10 07:08:06 2023 Mountain Daylight Time elapsed time: 15.967760 seconds (0d 0h 0m 15s)

--------------- T H R E A D ---------------

Is that the entire error output?

What was the result from trying the test program above?

No it is not. It is too large to publish here. I was never able to get it to crash with that test program. Let me try again though.

Consider uploading the entire error output somewhere we can get it.

Here is a link to Google Drive with 2 files:

I suspect I will need to give permissions. I am so stumped on this. I cannot even give you good steps. I am a software tester (manual) but profession, so I am USED to this stuff, but dang is this elusive.

A good Google Drive setting for this use case is to right-click the files/folders themselves, and in the Sharing settings, make it “Anyone with the link”. Then people can get them directly without having to make a request and get you to approve it.