ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR when downloading modules

Would you expand the entries for the two JPEGs in the fourth screenshot?

Sorry, I’m out of ideas. Maybe someone else can help.

Thanks for trying, don’t see anyway to just make it accept the site. :frowning:

I thought of three more things:

• Is your system clock way off?

Since we upgraded the site, all of the assets in the wiki have been stored in our hosting company’s S3 clone rather than directly on our own server. That’s why the domain in the URLs for images and modules differ from other URLs on our site. One consequence of this is that they’re under a different SSL certificate, which could have a different date of expiry.

The cert Linode is using for our S3 bucket expires on 25 October 2021, while our own cert expires on 25 November. If your system clock had a date after Linode’s cert expires but before ours does, you could get an SSL error from fetching wiki assets but not the rest of the wiki.

• What version of Windows are you using? Have you installed all of the available updates?

• Are you having the problem with other computers (or mobile devices) on the same internet connection? Are you having the problem with your computer on a different internet connection? What about a different computer (or mobile device) on a different internet connection?

System Clock is good.

Windows 10 Home - updates are current.

The last one seems to have narrowed the problem down at least.

I had the same issue when I tried the laptop. But that started me thinking about the connect part. I rebooted the router, still had the issue.

So instead of using the comcast connection I opened up a hotspot on my phone, signed in the PC and tried running the download. Worked fine - although really slow of course.

After that I disconnected the hotspot and tried downloading it again using the ethernet connection and then the wifi one through comcast. Failed both times.

So I am guessing it has something to do with comcast - although the strange part, at least to me, is it’s only the Vassal site that is having this issue as I can download stuff from other websites.

I am certainly willing to give them a call but any thoughts on what to tell them the problem is in technical terms?

Oh, Comcast. Of course. :frowning:

It looks like you’re not the only person to have had this problem with Comcast:

I came across someone saying this:

Having checked my Comcast gateway, I noticed Advanced Security was enabled and that it had labeled firebase.googleapis.com as a threat. I disabled the security feature and restarted the gateway and now I can connect and download from Storage.

It sounds like you might be able to turn off this “Advanced Security” thing that Comcast provides. But, if that does solve the problem for you, if won’t for any other Comcast subscribers who don’t know what the cause is… So even if that fixes it, you might be best off complaining to Comcast because they could fix it for everybody.

I am having the same issue, on Chrome, when trying to download the Conquistadors module.

@skippen Is Comcast your ISP? Can you provide any details which haven’t been posted above already?

Comcast, using Xfinity router for access.
ASUS router
Windows 10, Home Edition
System clock is correct.

Any other questions? I can re-read this at work and see if anything else relevant came up.

@skippen Can you turn off the “Advanced Security” thing Comcast provides? Are you able to download the module if you do that?

I will attempt that. So far, I cannot find my router IP. Been ages since I have done anything with the modem itself.

Disabling the Advanced Security has changed. You can unlock a site now only for an hour which works here obviously but is still a pain in the butt.

I will be giving them a call after I run a bunch of errands this morning.

Skippen you can disable it using your phone if you have the Comcast app download - tap on network details, go to Advanced Security - should be easy to find as it will be saying it blocked a threat. Go to the threat [or threats] click on the one for Vassal and it will give you an option to unblock it for an hour.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

It will be much later today. Apparently I don’t recall the password (what I have is not right). Reading that previous article, it appears it was solved by Comcast for that issue, but I will attempt this but it is going to take me restoring my router (which I am not excited to do). This is on the VASSAL end in combination with Xfinity. I did not have this issue till the site upgrade.

I wll report back here when this is done, but it will be after work.

Thanks. I will try that when I get home. I am not seeing it on the app at the moment, but I am also not at home.

Sorry for the late reply. I tried it in both Chrome and Brave.

FWIW, my internet provider is Cox Communications.

Apparently Cox licenses Xfinity from Comcast, so that suggests a common cause.

@uckelman, yes, allowing Vassal via Advanced Security took care of the issue.