The Refresh Counters tool does not add decks on new Map Windows to the predefined setups

Hello guys,
If I add a new map window to the module and place some new decks on it, those decks are not automatically added to the predefined setups by the refresh counters tool. Is it expected? If it is not expected, I can share the module I’m working on.

Many thanks,
Giulio.

PS: I’m using the recently released 3.6.11. Same behaviour on 3.6.10.

Hi Giulio -

You’ve selected both the required options shown below ?

Mark

Hello Mark,
yes I did.
Giulio

Another thought … are you expecting to see cards on those newly formed decks?

If so, that won’t happen through the Refresh. The cards will need to be placed through a separate setup routine - e.g. through a Startup GKC.

You can confirm that this is the issue by creating a brand new scenario from your module. In that case, the cards should be where you expect them to be.

I can’t recall for sure but I don’t think you even need Refresh Counters if you add a new map with decks on it. The new map will be available in the scenarios but new (i.e. “at start”) pieces/cards are never placed - not by this method, nor by Refresh Counters.

Got the same issue, here you can find some pictures.

Recent VSAV (or newly created scenario): everything works as expectred (new decks available).

Old VSAV after “Counter Refresh”: decks are not even visible.

Hello Mark,
thanks for the feedback. No, I do not expect any card or piece. It seems that new decks (NOT at-start) in a new map window are not added to predefined setups. The question is not about the pieces in the decks, but the decks themselves.

Giulio

1 Like

(@alecrespi also)

tried replicating in a small test module, but it is so far working for me.

I setup the included Pre-Defined Scenario as follows:
i) Setup the PDS in original module which only had the one deck on a main map.
ii) Added New Map containing New Deck with 2 new cards.
iii) Refresh Counters set up the deck ok (including outline but without cards).
iv) I then added a Startup GKC to move in the cards when the PDS starts.

Take a look.

If you wish to share your modules I will see if there’s anything I can help with.

Ditto.
This is exactly the same for my vsav files.

You can download my module from this link:

The FOW map window was added to the module AFTER the predefined setups were created. It contains three decks (it also contains three at-start-decks, those, I expect, are not replicated but I can work around it). As you can see the setups do NOT contain the decks. I tried to auto-update them, but without success.

Giulio

Hi Giulio -

Seems like the mass refresher has a problem. An individual Refresh Counters works (load the scenario, run the individual refresh checking Decks / Add decks option). 3 decks are reported added and their outlines appear on the FOW map.
None of that happens with the bulk pre-defined scenario refresh.

I’ll take a closer look and see about logging a Vassal issue.

Mark

** Update **
Double checked and I can add another new deck and new map/decks to the test module, do a mass refresh and the new map/decks all appear in the scenario. Also, I have a module (beta version of Flying Colors) that I added numerous decks to last April - checked a sample refreshed scenario and it is fine. Something more going on there.

I wonder if your problems relate to this issue except there is only one board on these maps, isn’t there? Yet, there is the core similarity that the standalone refresh works but bulk one does not.

1 Like

Tried various changes, like creating another map, moving elements around in the editor etc. All to no avail. I think this needs more help than I can give. Asked on the Vassal Discord if someone can take a look.

1 Like

No, actually there are already two map windows: the game board and the scenario sheet. So maybe it is related to the link you posted, but I don’t know enough to say if it is the case or not. In the worst-case scenario, I can update the setups individually. This is already something. Thanks.

1 Like

As Giulio said it will be longer but I can refresh/update the file individually.

What I am missing right now is this function…
How can I add cards in a deck (with a SGKC) if cards are not available in the vsav?

Thr only way i know of is to run a bunch oxf Place Marker traits. Put them in a piece that always exists im the scenarios. Do you have one you can use?

Yes I do have a piece that is always present on main map…

Let us know how it goes.

Also - if you find the log files get a lot bigger, you could try making the Place Marker (cards) piece a temporary one (finish off by replacing it with the current piece without the Place Marker traits on. This would also be a way to ensure that the cards get placed only once.

By the way, to be clear, working in the Editor, you need create 1 x Place Marker trait per card in the deck. You will configure each Place Marker trait by using the select option to select one of the cards from the deck in your module, until every card has a Place Marker trait.

Thank you Mark,
should I really enter a place marker for each card?
we are talking about at least 16 decks each containing 10-15 cards each…

Maybe it would be faster adding all the cards (and decks) into the “Game Piece Plaette” and drag the cards directly onto the decks (only when needed).
It might work?

Ale, I suspect you can’t add a deck to the game piece palette. If you know how to do it, please share. Actually having “movable decks” could be useful. Like a “Is a deck” property associated with a game piece that allows you to store pieces “inside” the piece.

As @g1ul10 suspects, you can’t define decks or any other stacked pieces in a Game Piece Palette. It is individual pieces only. You can’t even group select pieces on the same palette window. That said, for would be an easy workaround. I guess these are features of a Game Piece Palette that appeal to you:

1. Items in the GPP can be made available in existing scenarios.
  2. Items in the GPP will not add file space to saved games until they are dragged onto a board.

However, will this be easy enough for your players? I would worry about errors like missing or duplicating a card. Any automatic set up would still need to use Place Marker.

One question - does the game that you are working on potentially have 16+ (new) decks in play or are these decks representing packs of cards, of which only a limited number end up in a much smaller number of game decks in play ?

Perhaps the key thing you need is a setup process such that you only place cards actually selected for the game. I can imagine a process that would work for both new games and the existing scenarios.